Today, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) goes into effect. Cisco Meraki has been hard at work preparing ourselves and working to enable our customers in their readiness efforts. At Cisco Meraki we have always been committed to protecting the data our customers entrust to our cloud-hosted service. Privacy goes to the heart of everything we do as a business. The GDPR is therefore a welcome opportunity to further refine our approach and ensure our customers can have complete confidence that they remain in ultimate control when they select a Cisco Meraki product or solution to simplify their IT.
The steps we’ve taken to prepare for GDPR include building new dashboard functionality to address obligations of both the data “Processor” (that’s us at Meraki), and the data “Controller” (that’s our customers) under the GDPR. We’ve also updated our website, written a blog, created a video, updated our Data Processing Agreement, and much more.
As a reminder, here are some of the features we’ve built for our customers:
- The ‘right to be forgotten’
- Customers can delete dashboard data, either for themselves, or in response to requests from users of their networks.
- Data access and portability
- To honor customers’ requests to export their personal data, Meraki built functionality to enable accessibility and export of dashboard data.
- Restriction of processing
- In dashboard, personal data can be identified, hidden, and removed upon a verified request to restrict processing.
- Tracking GDPR-related requests
- The dashboard event log now includes functionality for tracking and verifying the status of GDPR requests.
- Consent tools
- Enhanced splash page functionality allows Meraki customers to provide notice to, and obtain any necessary consents from, users of their networks for the collection, processing, and storage of network user data.
- Data hosting visibility
When creating a new account, Meraki customers have the option to select the region where their data will be stored. For verification, the dashboard displays the hosting region on every page.
For more information please refer to our documentation.